Friday, October 10, 2008

The River - 2


Hi,

I'll start in English this time, but I won't tell the same thing in French so those who can speak both languages can read both versions.
As I promised you in my previous post, let me play you a few songs about rivers.
The first one is of course the one who gave its name to this site, by Percy Mayfield, in a West Coast blues way that would be a big influence on Ray Charles (who started recording the year after, in 1953). Here the river is seen as a place of eternal rest, which is not exactly what I had in mind when I chose that name...

En Français, voici donc quelques chansons sur les rivières et les fleuves pour ouvrir le bal. La première bien évidemment est celle qui donne son nom à ce site, elle est de Percy Mayfield, surnommé le poète du blues. Il écrivit plus tar pour Ray Charles, ce qui s'entend dans son style (à préciser qu'il enregistra cette chanson quand Ray Charles était encore puceau du studio si je peux dire).


Percy Mayfield - The River's Invitation

No comments: