Saturday, March 28, 2009

I need your help



You must have realized that this blog has gone 100 % "roots" music now. If you look at older posts there used to be some rock here, even new stuff, but I realized that a lot of people were coming (and staying) when I posted about older styles like blues, country, folk or roots reggae or rhythm & blues.

Well I'm still a big rock fan (at the moment, I'm listening to David Bowie) but I LOVE old time country and blues. There are hundreds of blogs about "modern" genres, and I guess my knowledge of traditional music would be more useful for the music blog community.

So I'm building a sort of discography for this site, a list of important and favorite "roots" records, albums or compilations, from 1920 to 2009. Check it out by clicking on the link above.

My Favorite roots records

The list is in progress, so there are omissions. But YOU can help.
Tell me what are your favorite roots albums, e.g. anything blues, gospel, folk, country, old r&b, old reggae, even world music. Tell me what records you would include in that list, let us build it together.

I'll listen to them if I can (and if I don't already know them) and (probably) include them in the list and make posts, etc...

I'm waiting for your comments. Before going back to historical posts, let's hear something (relatively) recent : the great come-back album of Chicago guitar player Jody Williams.

Jody Williams - She Found a Fool and Bumped his Head (buy) (2002)

2 comments:

Paul said...

Two words: George Jones.

I would recommend you get one of the better compilations. He really wasn't an albums artist.

Anonymous said...

I like this Jody Williams song. I hadn't known there was a newish album. I look forward to checking it out. Thanks. W.